Ladies, we are going to discuss a topic today that you are very familiar with yet want to avoid at all costs. Yes, I am talking about the recliner, a piece of functional furniture that is seemingly a vital organ for the men in our lives. Unfortunately, not everyone has a “man-cave” in their home where they can relegate such offensive pieces of masculinity. So, we hope to integrate a piece of furniture that is both comfortable and aesthetically-pleasing into our living rooms.
Gentlemen, you are in luck, as the assembly line of products at our disposal is increasing in style and attractiveness. Here are a few tips and pieces to inspire you to go shopping!
1. Incognito: For me concealing the recliner is key to integrating it into the space. The design of the chair should stand on its own with the other pieces in your room. This one from West Elm is probably my most favorite chair/recliner in recent history. The wool fabric with baseball stitching is phenomenal.
2. Leather, leather, leather: This is similar to the phrase “location, location, location”. Quality leather upholstery will stand the test of time and will always add a level of sophistication to your room. If you choose wisely, like these classics from Restoration Hardware and Pottery Barn, you will be able to enjoy your chair for years to come and won’t regret your purchase.
3. Fit & Function: Obvious to guys, we must pay attention to how well it fits our physique in relaxation mode. These 2 options from Room & Board offer different back heights, which is key when reclining and supporting your head comfortably. Testing out the chair before you purchase is recommended, but not always an option. However, measuring your room and allowing enough space for the chair to properly recline is essential.
4. Make a statement: Instead of an eyesore, the recliner can actually be the most intriguing piece of furniture in the room. For instance, this recliner from Design Within Reach was modeled after a luxury airline seat. It reclines to 4 positions and comes in an array of leathers and fabrics. Not to mention, it looks flawless.
5. Design is in the details: When choosing a recliner, just like any other piece of furniture, the details can make all the difference. Nailhead accents, baseball stitching, bold colors and unique bases/leg options all add a bit of personality to your furniture choices. These options from Vanguard, Thomasville and Lee Industries are all great examples of stylish recliners.
Hopefully, this ends a few debates in your household! Happy designing!
Here are the links to the above recliners:
Design Within Reach